Closed Cemeteries

SAM_9298

Philips Park Cemetery

Ardwick Cemetery

Ardwick Cemetery was situated on Ford Street, Gorton New Road, the first burial took place Tuesday 11th March 1838 for Johanna Naylor who was buried in a public grave, the cemetery was open to internments before it was offically opened. It closed May 1950 after 252,769 recorded burials. 19th April 1923 at the House of Commons the Home Secretary was asked if permission was being sort to close the Cemetery. Mr Chamberlain replied 'the Cemetery was closed by order of the Council in 1893 but permits "burials in existing graves under certain conditions" but that there was no view to close the entire Cemetery'

The official opening to the Public took place Good Friday 13th April 1838 at 3pm in the Cemetery Chapel. The Rev. James Bradley, registrar and resident minister, gave an address and spoke a dedicatory prayer to the small congregation that filled the Chapel. Professional singers engaged for the occassion sang several anthems. After the service the Rev. James Bradley and the congregation took a walk around the grounds where he gave another address and prayer.

The grounds were around 8 acres, beautifully planted and laid out, surrounded by a wall. A Chapel at the entrance to which opposite was the Registrars house and office.
(these similiar in architectural design of the Chapel)
It was stated that as with other Public Cemeteries it was open to interments of persons without the distinction of sect and friends and family of the deceased may have a religious ceremony they see fit.

Many Notable people were buried here, John Dalton,
Thomas Potter first lord mayor of Manchester, Ernest Jones - Chartist, Lieut Col. Hibbert C.B.,

Ardwick Cemetery ca1836
ardwick cemetery pic 1
ardwick cemetery pic 3
ardwick cemetery pic 2

©Manchester Libraries

©Manchester Libraries

Cheetham Hill Wesleyan Cemetery

Cheetham Hill Wesleyan Cemetery, Cheetham Hill opened 1815 and closed 1968.
2004 remains removed.

Rusholme Road Cemetery

Rusholme Road Cemetery/Dissenters Cemetery
opened May 1821 closed Feb 6th 1933, after last internment Eliza Morris.
First private cemetery in Manchester.
First burial Martha Wood aged 31yrs 16th May 1821.
cleared in 1933 it was advertised for a Registrar who must be a dissenter on principle.
March 1822 it was announced that the Revd. W. M. Walker of Preston had been appointed Registrar of the Cemetery.
Apr 1822 it was adevertised that single internments were priced at 8 shillings, without any other expense.
Friends or family of deceased may choose any minister to officiate or they may inter withuot any funeral rites.
To prevent any robbing of graves a watchman and a dog walk the grounds at night.

23 dec 1833 the Rev. W. M. Walker after a short illness passed away and his funeral held on 27th Dec at the Cemetery.
July 1891 it was reported that the Cemetery was to be turned into a playground but the chairman stated there was no thought of this, but was stated that if the Corporation were to take over the Cemetery that this could be possible as it has happened with other certain churchyards.

Phillips Park Cemetery

Phillips Park Cemetery situated on ???????????
The first public cemetery for the Corporation.
Designed by Messrs. Paull & Ayliffe, Architects, of India Buildings Cross Street Manchester & Mr W Gay, of Bradford Yorkshire, Gardener.
40 acres, 20 set apart for Church of England. remainig 20 acres for 12 acres proteant dissenters and 8 acres Roman Catholics.
Land is next to Phillips Park, elongated shape , winding stream nearly severing three distinst portions. The surface slopes towards the river, the design and layout of the cemetery makes it appear as if it is part of the Park.
Three chapels of which each almost stands in the center of each section. Each denominal section has it's own entrance.
The main entrance has a bulding on either side a house for the Registrar, office (also for registration of burials) and boardroom for the committee, it also has a tower with a clock and bell.
The gates will be double sets with a dividing pier, containing a space for Cemetery Regulations and a drinking water fountain.
Nearto the gates and Registrars house will be gardeners or porters lodge.
The three chapels will be similar in style but each have a distinitve leading feature. The style chosen is 'middle pointed Gothic' all made of Yorkshire stone.
Estimate of 35,00 graves or 150,000 internments.
2 Aug 1867 Church of England Concecrated, open for internemtns on the 8th Augt the first burial
Dissenters concecrated in 1st May 1867. First burial
21 oct 1866 Roman Catholic part concreated by Provost Croskell V.G. after a walk around the cemetery repeating the 51st palsm, the Provost blessing the ground and sprinkling holy water.
RC ground open to internments on 24 Oct. First burial

17th April 1926 C.W.G.C. applied for a plot and was granted for an erection of a War Memorial.

There is only one Chapel remaining - Church of England, it is a very bad condition and is fenced off from the public for saftey reasons. The other two Chapel having been demolished.

Phillip's Park

Philips Park Cemetery, Dissenters Entrance

Phillips Park Roman Catholic Section

Philips Park Cemetery, Roman Catholic Entrance